Saturday, March 04, 2006

Storms a brewing

Oscars are this weekend and if the rumours of the now favourite are true I may have to post my first rant on Monday, the old favourite is finally showing at the local flicks this weekend so I am going to hoke out my ass-less chaps and checkout Brokeback Mountain.

Munich

Probably the best thing Speilberg has done in years, really feels like a 70's film, which is a good thing. Just a really good observation of the futility of revenge, something good old George W. could learn about his pointless fight against terror. Two Thumbs Up

The I Inside

Ryan Phillippe wakes up in 2002 with no memory of the past two years does some stuff then wakes up in 2000 and back and forth and I don't know whats going on and the explanation is crap. Enjoyed it to a point but in trying to read up on other peoples thoughts on what was going on its really started to annoy me so i have down graded it to Thumbs in the middle

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D

From the director of Sin city and From Dusk Till Dawn, Robert Rodriguez like to flip flop back and forth between adult genre picks and kids movies. I love all the adult stuff and his Spy Kids films are the best live action children's films of the last 15 years. This was a rental and the rental disc only comes with the 2-d version which pissed me off, the film is really disappointing but has some good ideas and would probably be more fun in 3-d. Thumbs in the middle

Elizabethtown

Partially disappointed by this, I love all of Cameron Crowe's other films but only the last 45 minutes of this felt like a Cameron Crowe film and just saved the film for me. The first hour and ten minutes is a string of great moments held together with moments of crap. Thumbs Up

Stealth

Films Shit, Jessica Biel's hot. Thumbs Down

Heidi Fleiss: Hollywood Madam

Nick Broomfield documentary about the Heidi Fliess trial that threw Hollywood into a state of chaos for a while while people got scared that there dirty sex secret would get out. Doc focuses on her relationship with her boyfriend and is nowhere near as good as Bloomfields other doc's. Thumbs in the middle

New DVD's

The Thin Red Line - Probably the most beautiful war film ever made, if that makes any sense

New CD's

Arcade Fire - EP - seven song EP from the band I most want to see live at the moment

6 Comments:

At 6:50 pm, Blogger Neil Struthers said...

I saw The Last Starfighter!

I remember, I had The Thin Red Line on DVD once, but then it was stolen with a ton of my other DVD's in The Big Belfastian Arseboring Of 2004. From what I remember of it, it was a bit on the long-winded side for my liking, and I think I must have had a snooze in the middle of watching it.

Stealth, I expected to be shit. Avoiding that, then.

Munich was a good show. Some moments that only Speilberg could pull off; like towards the end, when he's 'enjoying' his wife and every third stroke triggers a flashback.

 
At 12:13 am, Blogger Neil Struthers said...

...Bareback Mounting!

Yeah!

 
At 10:14 am, Blogger Mark said...

Dude! Thin Red Line IS the most beautiful war film ever. And probably my favourite war film, although not by much. I didn't think it was overly long. To be honest, I hear the director's original cut is over 6 hours, and I'd watch it. No bother. Love to.

The amount of talent (used and unused) that Malick was able to assemble is amazing. And those tribal singers just go through me every time.

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger Neil Struthers said...

Maybe I'll try and get another watch of it sometime. When I'm a bit more awake (when I retire, then).

Mr Brown: I expect a full review of 'Starship Troopers 2' when you get a chance to watch it. I saw the first ten minutes of it: I had to turn off.

 
At 5:35 pm, Blogger Neil Struthers said...

Hold it:

"And those tribal singers just go through me every time."

You mean, like a dose of salts?

 
At 3:12 pm, Blogger Mark said...

Ah, no. Not like salts. Not at all like a dose of the salts. Not in the slightest. Not even remotely like the thing. No. Down with this sort of thing. Careful now.

Although I hear those tribal singers do come with a cautionary "Excessive consumption may produce laxative effects" warning when you buy half a pound of Doherty's Special Tribal.

Noh I just mean that the Melanesian Choirs compliment the film very well. It's one of the best films to watch stoned because of the music and cinematography. You just get sucked in and don't even notice how long it is. Great stuff altogether.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home