Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Number of the Beast

I am very scared and must immedialty find a film to watch that was made since 2000. As part of my attempt to compile my best films of 2005 list Part 1 (Part 1 as it usually takes me to July to see everything I really wanted to see) I realized I had only seen 67 films that have been released theatrically in the UK this year. Being the non-geek that I am I decided to see how many films I had seen since the start of the decade, from 2000 on. The totals went as follows
2000 - 106
2001 - 94
2002 - 117
2003 - 146 - even scarier there is at least another 10 I still wouldn't mind seeing
2004 - 136
2005 - 67
One quick calculation later shows that my viewing of King Kong last night puts me at 666 films for the decade. I have made it safely through today but I don't fancy risking it any longer, I may have be forced to watch the Cat in the Hat tonight on Sky just to be safe.

Anyway onto the reviews while I am still alive to write them.

King Kong

Wow, my biggest concern here was the casting of Jack Black as i am so used to laughing at him but I thought he was excellent. Its not perfect, some of the CGI is a bit ropey, mostly the green screen work and not Kong who is one of the most believable CGI characters I have seen, also some of the story threads go nowhere but overall I would have gladly queued up straight away to see it again. Which earns King Kong the first appearance of... Two Thumbs Up

Million Dollar Baby

This won best film at last years Oscars and I can safely say the world would be a better place if everybody who voted for it was taken out and shot. This is the most cliched sentimental piece of crap I have seen in my whole life. Thumbs Down

U Turn

Decided to give this another go after being a bit blah about it before and came away feeling the same again, it just feels too full of interesting ideas poorly executed. Thumbs in the middle

Dig!

Documentary following the dandy warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre over the course of seven years as the more talented brian jonestown spiral into jealousy and drugs as there friends the dandy's fluke success by getting one of there songs into a mobile phone commercial. Film is part touching and hilarious, at a gig the fans of brian jonestown attack the camera crew making the documentary and then attack the band. Suckered me into buying a Brian Jonestown Massacre album to see what they are like. Thumbs up

New DVD's

King Kong production diaries - Gathers together all of Peter Jackson's internet based video diaries on the making of the film. This is the region one set that comes with prints of production designs and comes in fancy packaging.

Sin City recut, extended, unrated - this is the two disc special edition containing the theatrical version on one disc and each of the individual stories in slightly extended versions on another plus a bunch of extras. Also includes a copy of the first Sin City graphic novel which would have been cooler if I didn't already own a copy

that's it for now, will be back next week with the best films of 2005 part 1 and hopefully a review of Narnia if I live that long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home