Saturday, May 06, 2006

Long Time No See

Been awhile, been going through a music phase so haven't been watching too many films so the to watch pile is back over a hundred again :-(

The Brothers Grimm

Like all Terry Gilliam films it is beautiful but the story is a complete mess so it became a boring nonsensical mess very quickly. Thumbs in the Middle

Capote

Another best film nominee that was nowhere close to being the best film of last year. Philip Seymour Hoffamn is fantastic in it though, but he's great in everything. Thumbs Up

White Noise

Michael Keaton gets messages through his TV from his dead wife, apparently this a pretty well known phenomena and the people it happens to don't get treated like nut jobs. Film is cack though. Thumbs in the Middle

Finding Nemo

Slowly moving through the Pixar collection with my nephew, this the most overrated of there films as its usually said to be the best after the Toy Stories, but its just Hollywood speak for it's the one that made the most money. It is still great though. Thumbs Up

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

The first one was mildly amusing and when I worked at the cinema when this was on there would be howls of laughter coming out of the screen, mostly from middle aged single Bridget Jones type but laughs none the less, I have now come to the conclusion that a local stand-up comedian showed up each night and did a show while the film was running as I didn't laugh once at the film. Thumbs Down

Lord Of War

Film about the gun running business, that I can't remember too much about as I lost interest about half way through. Thumbs in the Middle

The Producers

This is the one based on the play that was based on the original, they could have put some effort into the sets and other things as this looks like someone sneaked into the theatre and made a pirate copy of the play, it all looks a bit cardboard. Thumbs in the Middle

New DVD's

Equilibrium - Overall its not great but there are enough good moments to warrant the £3 asking price

Black Mama, White Mama - Women in Prison Flick with Pam Grier, going to start a wee Pam Grier collection

New CD's

Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat - Saw her up in Belfast a few weeks back and she was fantastic

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous
Rilo Kiley - Take Off and Landings - Jenny's other band

The Postal Service - Give Up - Jenny does back-up vocals on a few tracks, you see where I am heading here its like a six degrees of Kevin bacon with music thing

Johnathan Rice - Trouble is real - Supported Jenny in Belfast and plays Guitar in her band, she does vocals on one of the tracks, that is it I'll stop now, though I do have one more Rilo Kiley CD in the post.

Led Zeppelin - Presence - Finishes off my Led Zep collection, all I need now are the live albums

Bredan Benson - The Alternative To Love - He is hooking up with Jack White for his Raconteurs side project so I thought I'd check out some of his stuff, needless to say after listening to this I ordered his other albums

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam - New album and its great, got my tickets for the Point in August last week so I am getting really exited now, they where great on Jools Holland last night as well, did I mention that Jenny was on Jools as well, OK I'll stop now.

3 Comments:

At 10:10 pm, Blogger Neil Struthers said...

Couldn't help but notice that you've watched Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason.

Couldn't help but notice.

Lord of War was preachy, but I enjoyed it.

 
At 9:34 am, Blogger Mark said...

Saw White Noise in the cinema and I remember being disappointed.

Why were there three evil spirits? Why three!? It never gave any indication why. Is it like the anti-holy-trinity. It bothered me that they didn't say.

Is there such a thing as a film being bad from conception, or is it all in the editing?

By the way, what did you think of the Postal Service album? I have it at home but haven't gotten around to it yet.

 
At 12:03 pm, Blogger Richard Brown said...

Postal Service is growing on me only given it few listens so far with all the other stuff arriving but there are some good tunes on it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home